- One (1) winner will receive a $15 Amazon gift card
Link to Giveaway:
Love Spells and Other Disasters by Angie Barrett
Publication Date: February 1, 2021
Publisher: Entangled Teen
I didn’t know when I wrote the first love spell that it would actually make things happen. Like, actually make people fall in love with each other…
How could I have known something like that? I mean, magic isn’t real, right?
But here’s the thing—the spell does work and so does the next one and the next one…and suddenly I’m getting a whole lot of attention from everyone at my high school. Me, Blend-into-the-Walls, Please-Let-Me-Introvert-in-Peace Rowan Marshall. And not only that, but I’ve also caught the attention of Luca Russo, a godlike, football-playing hottie who claims he likes me just the way I am. Ummm…
But as I’m about to learn, playing around with things you don’t understand means when things go wrong—like really, very awfully wrong—you don’t know how to fix them.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Author Angie Barrett lives in a small town in Ontario, Canada in an old century home that is also known as the “cat house” because, well, Angie likes cats. A lot. She also likes shopping for books, or for anything really, and spending time RVing in the summer with her family. She has worked for sixteen years as a high school English teacher and Librarian and is currently a Curriculum Consultant for new teachers. Angie has always dreamed of being a published author and strives to create worlds where there are strong, relatable characters who maybe are not always perfect but who understand the meaning of friendship and loyalty and who will use their collective strengths to overcome adversity.Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads
Guest Post: Angie’s Playlist
I’m the type of writer who listens to songs for inspiration. I think about what the words mean to me, how they pump up my creative energy and sometimes, even, how they help me work through plot snags.
For Love Spells and Other Disasters, there were a few songs that I kept coming back to so I thought I’d share them with you.
1) White Reaper, Might be Right – I picture this as the opening song when Rowan pulls up with her mom in her old Caddie and Ethan comes to get her. I also picture this song being played at the 80’s Spring Fling near the end of the book.
2) Ocean Eyes, Billie Eilish – When I first wrote Love Spells, I had a lot of references to this song in the story. I really wanted Luca’s eyes to be like Billie describes them in this song because her voice is so haunting and the lyrics are so beautiful. Thankfully, my editor knocked some sense into me through our various rounds of editing, so most of the references are gone.
Pssst…I think there’s still one! See if you can find it.
3) Home, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros – This is another haunting song and one that I always connect to Rowan’s mom and her devotion to Rowan’s dad.
4) Heart of Glass, Miley Cyrus – I love the original version of this song by Blondie but Miley Cyrus covered it in an awesomely gruff hardcore way. I think this song perfectly fits Abby’s plans for selling crush spells. I picture it being played while Rowan is writing the spells at the marketing fair and Abby is enticing everyone to come check out their booth.
5) Pretty in Pink, Psychedelic Furs – I had to include this song because I shout out the movie near the beginning of the story when Abby is first introduced. I can hear the chorus playing as Abby walks into the restroom where Ethan and Rowan are talking.
6) New Year’s Day, Taylor Swift – This song is perfect for Rowan and Luca’s relationship and I could see it showing up in a few different spots, like when they’re hanging out at Malcolm’s party or when they’re together at the Grady barn.
7) Last but not least, an oldie but it totally fits.
If you Leave, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark – This is the perfect song for the final scene at the bleachers between Luca and Rowan. If you’ve read it, you’ll know what I mean. If you haven’t then I’m not going to spoil it for you.
Do you recognize any of the above songs? Looking forward to this book?